Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Everlasting Life

If I live forever, don’t be surprised
You read it here 
And were thus warned
Furthermore, I think I’ve been alive
Since time began
From the other direction
My claims are based in fact
On strong suppositions
For example, right now
I feel an urge
Or maybe a demi-urge
To trumpet joy
Loud enough to wake the dead
Peaceful enough to rock them back to sleep
I recognize this thing in me
From what I saw of my ancestors
And occasionally in my daughter
Maybe the genie part
But it’s loose in the world
I can feel it
The checkout lady at the store yesterday
Heavyset, leaning, waiting for the next shopper
Of mirthless countenance
Enough to make me notice
But unless I miss my guess
She knows and will know again
This smoldering bliss
Eternal as the sun
And when she and I
Find an exit
The next service rep and customer set
Will occupy commercial time and space
Flowing in its arteries
Wetting it with tears
Between bouts of boundless bravado
Assuming their place among the everlasting

No comments:

Post a Comment