Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Your Long-Absent Son Here


Lost in the static of the sixties
Jesus and you
Could always be found
With a few tweaks
Of the dial

The love songs of the seventies
Played while I looked
For your replacement
One to make me smile
And be alert as I dreamed

Studious through the eighties
The seatbelt sign off
Free to move about the country
Turbulence ahead
Just as you had warned

Careering into the nineties
A little place in the hills
Early morning charges
Late-night hand wringing
Learning without knowing

Humbling with the oughts
Settling into time
More uncertain measures
Fewer ways of counting
How I might be doing

All this time…

Your love has shone
Like a lighthouse
Through fog and mist
More shore revelation
Than coastal smoothing

And now…

Your vessel sails
Near the craggy coast
And though I’m distant
I lift a flashlight
On my tiptoes

No comments:

Post a Comment