Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blind Faith


To refer to faith as blind is to be redundant
All faith is blind
What is not blind is hope
Hope relies on occasional evidence
Reality is neutral on the subject of faith
Hope is grounded in reality

Sign says: bleak days ahead

See what the religious have done?
They trot out their faith
And if not faith
They speak of spirits
Of the spiritual
Of ghosts
Apparently real ghosts
Real to them, anyway

See what the young do?
They deny the pace of passing time
To them, life is long enough
Sometimes too long
Ample to waste
To avoid
To put off
To float along

And what of the scientist?
Her hope is in logic and its methods
Predicting, postdicting, edicting
From the gospel according
To the book of Bacon
Oxymorons such as life science
Sometimes yield plain morons
Such as we have not seen before

I want no part of faith
I will take a little science
But mainly, I look for evidence
Sufficient to justify my way of living
My will to hope
For my concern is not only
To make it through the bleak
I must be alert for days
When the sun is warm on my skin
And the path clear to see

No comments:

Post a Comment