Thursday, January 16, 2014

I may have to set the record straight

-->
I knew it early on…
Or had a sneaking suspicion, anyways…

This thing will have a hairy ending
I got the feeling when at four years old
The preacher scared me under conviction
And I cried to the alter
And was later baptized
It hit me again when I surrendered to preach
Before I was old enough to drive
It was in the back of my mind
Nights in the dorm
When my view of eternity began to blur
But it may have hit me hardest
The Saturday night I married
Or was it the Wednesday night
My daughter was born?
The few pictures from those evenings
Show me in a trance

And now, as well as I can infer
Some people think of me as old
Or as they say - older
Fading like newspaper in the sun
They exclude me from young-people dreams
I have begun to see my age in large numbers
On buildings, on passing cars, or in the sky
As I run through my town

It’s true…I have long suspicioned it to be so
I get the feeling
I may have to speak my mind
To exert myself
Pretty soon I think the day is coming
I may have to set the record straight

No comments:

Post a Comment