Thursday, December 15, 2011

People, we need to talk


Penny – Ollie, we need to talk.
Ollie – Oh, ok, is something wrong?
Penny – No, I’m just saying, we are friends and friends should talk.
Ollie – Shoot.
Penny – Except, I don’t want to just talk, I want to really talk.
Ollie – Cool.
Penny – I want us to talk in lines of poetry.
Ollie – So, you don’t want to talk, you want us to write a Shakespearean play in real time.
Penny – Whatever, let me show you what I mean. I say: “We need to talk” and you say?
Ollie – Oh, ok, is something wrong?
Penny – No, that’s prose, when you speak in poetry every phrase has to pop.
Ollie – But not all my phrases pop. Sometimes they sizzle and some even fizzle.
Penny – There, you did it, that popped.
Ollie – Because it rhymed?
Penny – No, because it evoked the senses, made me think fresh thoughts, delighted my mind with good comparison, it popped.
Ollie – Ok, we can try it and see what happens.
Penny – So, here goes again: Ollie, we need to talk.
Ollie – How ‘bout I take that line and you take the second line, 'cause I can’t figure out how to make the next line pop.
Penny – Fair enough.
Ollie – Penny, we need to talk.
Penny – Fine, as long as we don’t rule out screaming.
Ollie – Or scheming?
Penny – Or rhyming
Ollie – Or just chiming.
Penny – Or miming.
Ollie – Sorry, but mimes don’t talk.
Penny – Oh, but they would if they could.
Ollie – Is that why they look so sad?
Penny – Yes, they have the weight of the world on their moves.
Ollie – So, talking is the lazy man’s mime?
Penny – Or woman.
Ollie – I am enjoying this, so far.
Penny – And that’s the main point, the pursuit of happiness can get pretty complicated without someone to talk to.
Ollie – Penny, we need to talk.
Penny – We’ve been over that.
Ollie – No, I mean, people need to talk.
Penny – Now that pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment