Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Slow Boat To China


I am awake in the night
As is often the case
But tonight is some different
For tonight I am shipping

You see when Dad died in 2006
I went to China
And among other things
Saw the world’s second
Largest port

The trip was useful
I left some things
On the Li River
And a few more
On the Nan Jing Road

We taxied out over the harbor in Shanghai
Winding our way
Around that loopy view
Of enormous commerce

I cannot get back there
At least not tonight
But I need to send
A few things on big ships
To a big port of call

It takes fifteen seconds
To breathe each down
And fifteen seconds
To breathe each aboard

Thus far I have loaded
Sadness
Ego
Feelings of injustice done
Craving for revenge
Anger
A vague sense of inadequacy
Hatred
And threat to self-image

I stopped by here
To file my report
A bill of lading

Now I must repair
Back to the dock
And load a few more

With any good fortune
The Slow Boat to China
Will get them to land
Then I suppose truck
And then maybe
The Qinghai-Tibet Railroad
Will get them home

As if for consolation
My midnight Yogi Tea bag says:
“Wherever you go
Go with all your heart”

I had not thought
Of going somewhere
I will consider that
Once this shipment clears

No comments:

Post a Comment