Thursday, December 15, 2011

Putting Unwanted Feelings in Their Place


Putting unwanted feelings in their place

Grief, always the courtier
Knocked at my door
Asking to speak to the man of the house
But as I was indisposed
He understood and vowed to return later

While his less couth cousin – disquiet
Waiting at the curb
Without announcement
Intruded into my private space
Ransacking the place before
I could dial for help

When the authorities arrived
To make a report
I, interrupting business as usual
Made a case for choice in matters
Some say before abrupt changes
For sanguine solitude
To be promoted among the legislators

Sorry, said I, but willy-nilly upheaval is inopportune
Impertinent and calloused
And as they took notes I spoke with passion
Reminding them to look me in the eyes
As I made my case

After which, to my relief
They started to pack up and leave
Assuring me my message would be conveyed
Giving me back my night
Even begging my pardon
Upon knocking over a dear picture
As they retreated

I returned the likeness to where it belonged
But as soon as they left, that hollow feeling entered
The same door
Sitting down in my desk chair
Opening files on my computer
In fact, one I thought I had deleted
The one in which I had written
So movingly of permanence
Requited love
A separate peace
Sanctuary

I know grief, loneliness, separation
Or perhaps the dark king himself
Will return
And ask to speak to me again
But just maybe I won’t be home
Or suppose I am
But have insight afresh
Giving him an ear full?

I am feeling again in charge
Working out is paying off
These, these aliens and imposters
These ne’er do wells
Really, I don’t think
Want to mess with me

No comments:

Post a Comment