Saturday, June 26, 2010

A 28th Birthday Sonnet with a French Twist

These lines are to you my daughter of two score years and eight
As we balance the state of Tennessee like orbs on a dumbbell
This Wednesday reminds me of the one you today commemorate
I am so sorry not to be there but will call later to wish you well

You are still young, some say in the prime of your physical life
As loved as you were the day your mother bit my finger in pain
How glorious to tell the world you are my daughter and she my wife
Each holiday season the thrill waxes for me when for others it may wane

I hope today is as special or as ordinary as you would like it to be
May your memories and dreams be warm and exciting, respectively
Serious thoughts on a year-ending birthday must be hard to flee
But after so much practice you probably do it instinctively

Revel in your physical prime with joy de vie, or if you wish, just plain joy
Dance with the other angels to the purpose of how do you say je ne sais quois

No comments:

Post a Comment