Saturday, June 26, 2010

Waiting For Friends

As I sit here awaiting friends to arrive
I am reminded of the importance of now
Zen and other masters poo poo time
The past is best left that way
The future cannot be held in advance
There is only this moment
And it is not a point
The movement of life is analog
Not digital, nothing is discrete
There are no elements
There is no form

As I sit here awaiting friends to arrive
I am reminded of the threeness of things
The valley stretches within limit
The crest rises as transition
The mountain looms in its authority
Some occasions are singular
Forcing anticipation in us
Like an approaching weather front
Ridges of high pressure dominate
Then they are swept away
Sometimes in violence

As I sit here awaiting friends to arrive
I am reminded of temporariness
We have locked arms to walk together
Buried fathers and mothers
Even brothers and sisters
Groaned under the weight of personal finance
Consumed as our society is wont to do
Celebrated successes and absorbed failures
Bold nature holds us up
Suspends us in our own wave
We head for the shore

As I sit here awaiting friends to arrive
I am reminded of the future
Joyful “we just got heres”
How was the traffic?
Which way did you come?
Is it going to rain?
When do we go to bed?
Good morning old friend
Attack the days don’t just seize them
Till the taillights fade down the lane
And we return to our recliners

No comments:

Post a Comment