Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Madcap Wedding Poem

I just attended a like-minded wedding
Except they had no dancing
unless you count the “first dance” by the couple
Which was also the “last dance”
Which is almost the title of a great song by Floyd Cramer
Except his song is entitled Last Date
Which I am sure a lot of people have had their last dance
Together on their last date, so it is not that farfetched to associate the two
Anyways
Danceless weddings should be outlawed
Did you dance at your wedding?
Will you dance at your next wedding?
Will you dance at my next wedding?
Not that I am having another wedding
It’s rhetorical
But the wedding was like-minded
Because I like the people’s minds who got married
They are smart and funny
Respectively
Both too
There are not enough smart and funny people in the world
Just think if everybody were (subjunctive mood) smart and funny
Imagine what a great place this world would be
There would be no more war
Because everybody would be too smart and funny to fight
And that previous line is the entire reason for this poem actually
There would be no poverty because smart people know how to make money
and funny people make people want to give them money
Smart and funny people probably live longer…take Bob Hope, George Burns and Milton Berle, please
Of course, the smartest and funniest man ever was Phil Silvers and he only lived to be 74
Anyways, the wedding was like-minded
Because I like the minds of the smart, funny people who got married
But there were lots of other smart funny people there too
Such as the father and mother of the groom
And the father and mother of the bride
And the people who did the rehearsal dinner
And may I say,
Myself.
I am like-minded too.
Or is it light-minded?
At any rate, go to a wedding soon yourself
And enjoy the dancing
And be there for those who are not so smart or those who have little to laugh about
They probably will not be dancing
And sadly, they may not even be at the wedding, not invited and all
Anyways
This poem is not too smart and it is making me sad
Suddenly I do not feel like dancing or going to a wedding
Especially a danceless wedding (hopefully one day outlawed, at least in Kentucky)
Poetry is supposed to be smart and funny is it not?
No, I guess, just smart, oh well, two out of three ain’t bad
Danceless weddings are okay if the people are smart and funny
Because being a smart and funny person is sort of like always dancing
That previous line is the second reason for this poem
Like some of my friends
I have friends who dance all the time
You have to be smart and funny to do that
Just try it
Someday all the world’s smart and funny people will sit down together
And discuss the future
They are likely to outlaw danceless weddings
And then hopefully they will tackle global warming
The AIDS crisis
World Poverty
What to do about people who are less-than-smart and less-than-funny
And other global problems
Then they will form a line and begin to dance
And their dance will last forever
That, I believe would constitute a like-minded heaven
Because I would like that heaven
I would light that heaven
I would like to light in that heaven
Anyways
Something must happen soon to end this poem
…why certainly, you may have this dance

No comments:

Post a Comment